When a child is born to unwed parents or the identity of a father is in doubt, a paternity action can legally identify the father and make it possible to establish child support, child custody and parent time orders. At Corbett Gwilliam, PLLC, we handle paternity-related matters for clients throughout the Salt Lake City area.
Our clients include mothers who need to establish paternity to obtain child support for their children and men who wish to obtain the rights and responsibilities of fatherhood. Whatever side of the issue you are on, we can provide you with skilled legal guidance throughout the paternity process.
Call us at 801-931-6594 or
866-287-5853 to arrange a free initial consultation with a Salt Lake City paternity lawyer.
Why Is Paternity Important?
When a married woman gives birth to a child, the woman’s husband is presumed to be the father. It is important to establish paternity for unmarried individuals for several reasons:
- Custody: The parties can agree or the court can decide which parent should have physical and legal custody of the minor child.
- Child support: When paternity is established, both mother and father can contribute to the support of the child.
- Fathers’ rights: When paternity is established, the father may pursue his rights in regard to child custody and parent time (visitation).
- Medical history: It is important to know the biological father’s medical history to help detect certain genetic diseases in the child.
- Benefits: The child may be entitled to certain benefits, such as veteran’s benefits, from the biological father.
Paternity matters can be sensitive and emotional. We will work with you personally to help you understand the process and guide you to the best possible outcome.
Contact Our Law Office To Discuss Your Parental Rights
We can help you with a broad range of family law matters, including those involving paternity. Contact our law office today online or by telephone at 801-931-6594 or 866-287-5853 to arrange a free initial consultation with a Salt Lake City paternity attorney.